Sunday, August 1, 2010

Who Needs Another Blog?

So, what’s a self-respecting therapist doing writing a blog? Aren’t therapists supposed to be serious people who analyze the deep, dark souls of their clients and dazzle those same clients with insight?


Well, not exactly.

I’ve decided to blog because of what I see in the world around me. I work mostly with couples. I watch them struggle to discover how to get along, fight fair, face tough problems. I also live outside my office and see dozens of examples of relationships in pop culture. Some examples stun me with their grace. Barack and Michele Obama appear to walk the tightrope of the white house and still smile at each other across the room of a state dinner. Other examples are less stellar. The nightly news screams out about the infidelity of the week – yet another famous politician or celebrity who’s admitted to an affair. The paparazzi “catch” a starlet in a compromising position. A 40-year marriage dissolves because the couple “grew apart.”

Pop culture is full of examples of relationship dilemmas just like yours and mine. Whether it's reality TV, movies, books, or celebrity gossip, people's lives overflow with relationship lessons. We can learn from them – what to do and what not to do. Maybe we'll even find a lesson in The Bachelorette?

That’s why I’m writing a blog - to explore the wide, wonderful mud puddle we live in and see what’s out there.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting concept. I'm much more interested in a relationship counselor's opinion on the latest scandal than the tabloids'. I'll be interested to see where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete